Sunday, June 7, 2009

Ktichen Update...finally done!

Back in December we started updating our kitchen. First we took down the hideous light box and put can lights. Then we replaced the white countertops, and FINALLY...FINALLY after 2 1/2 months of staining cabinets...it is finished!

Can I mention that the cabinets wouldn't have taken me SoOOOoooOO long if I would've gone with my gut instinct about the finish. I didn't want a shiny finish and the least amount of sheen I could use was Satin.....(the Matte was oil-based). So, I finished the cabinets and HATED the shininess. Leo told me to just leave it, he thought it looked fine. But after spending that much time on a project, I wanted to make sure it was exactly how I had imagined it. So, I sanded the cabinets all down a couple of weeks ago and spent the whole day painting them again! I am now satisfied.

Before

After

Before

After


So I put all our appliances on KSL classifieds and they sold the next day. I wasn't prepared to go a whole month without a stove, dishwasher and microwave. The kids hated me for doing that...they had to handwash dishes for a whole month. Here is Leo holding up the old microwave...we couldn't figure out how to get it out. So, we took turns holding it on our back for 30 minutes until our friend came over to help.

My only bit of advice for redoing cabinets...use the Gel Stain

3 comments:

Laurel said...

It looks GREAT!! I love it! You did a fabulous job!!

Mandee said...

I am so impressed! You are amazing!

Emily Osborne said...

Beautiful! Maybe you should invite us over for a game night, so we can see it in person!!