Friday, October 31, 2008

Brace Face & Metal Mouth

Mikey & Dr. G

Mother/Son moment

Metal Mouth

Haili Boo

Brace Face

So...Michael and Haili got braces this week! They were SO funny about it. We gave them the option to get clear brackets on top, but NOPE they wanted the super duper, bright & shiny SILVER! I can't blame them...I remember as a kid making retainers by straightening out big paperclips. I would wear them all day, and they would tear up my mouth. But it was all worth it. Or there were the times I would suck on a Jolly Rancher so it would form to the roof of my mouth like a retainer...if I could pull that off with the paper clip attached, then I was good to go.

Back to the story....they wanted SILVER because they wanted to be sure that everyone noticed that they had braces...which I fully understood given my past history with braces and retainer making.

Before we went to the Ortho (Dr. Ghiz) Michael said a prayer and prayed that him or Haili wouldn't cry during the procedure. It was so cute...and NO neither one of them cried. Although, Michael did have to hold my hand a couple of times when Dr. Ghiz was putting on the back brackets. It took nearly 1 1/2 hours to put Mikey's on and about 45 for Haili's. I told Dr. Ghiz that this is going to be a LONG 2 years for him, so I hope he is prepared to get to know Mikey really well.

After we were done, Michael had this conversation with me in the car:

M: Mom, is this Dr. Ghiz's number? (on the card)

A: Yes, why?

M: I'd like to keep it, just in case I have any questions, then I can call him directly.

A: Mikey, if you have any questions, just ask me. I've had braces...and if I can't answer your question, I'll call him. (Heck, I used to make them! And when Ryan had braces and his wires & brackets came off, he would make me fix them!)

M: No, that's okay...I'll call him.

P.S. Steph & Liz get their braces in 2 weeks! I'm looking for 2 more names I can call them since Brace Face & Metal Mouth are taken...any ideas?

5 comments:

Emily Osborne said...

The highlight of my pre-teen years was choosing new rubber band colors when I went to the Ortho! You know, red and green for Christmas, orange and black for Halloween.....DORK!!!!!

Emily Osborne said...

I've heard "train tracks" and "steel factory"

Melanie said...

Wow, did you guys win the lottery or something, FOUR kids in braces at the same time! I think I'll take out some dental stock today!

Auntie K said...

Wow! Mikey looks so cute in his braces. You better tell him that for me!

Anonymous said...

Just for the record we did not want silver. Our parents offered clear braces ONLY to Steph and Liz so no matter what we got stuck being brace faces!!!!


Love Haili Gonzalez